Friday, November 4, 2011

Last day in Mongolia

Bah. I didn’t sleep last night, I feel so terrible today! I have managed to get my bags packed – there’s two. One full of slippers and rugs and the other full of clothes and vodka. I have no idea how much it all weighs but it will definitely be overweight. It will be a similar price paying excess baggage as it will be to post stuff home, and at least with excess baggage I might have more luck actually getting my stuff at the other end.

Olgii finished in a hurry. We were so sleepy after eagle hunting. Shops only open at 10am, and we had to leave at midday for our flight. We had two hours to go to the museum and buy our Kazakh stuff. The Kazakh stuff is SO BEAUTIFUL. I could have bought EVERYTHING. It’s now taking up an entire suitcase full – shitballs. Excess baggage will cost me a fortune. BOO! But posting it home will cost about the same, so I may as well just bring it with me.

DSC06553DSC06551DSC06552

We boarded our flight with plenty of time to spare.

The above photos are taken from the plane – SUCH a beautiful flight! And not bumpy, thank goodness. I don’t do so well with scary flights.

Arriving in UB, we saw the pollution, got caught in epic traffic and got home around 7:30pm. I had French Bistro steak for dinner as I needed a decent bloody meal and the pasta with pesto I have left doesn’t suffice. I began packing, organised myself and went to bed. I didn’t sleep.

Today I packed some more and was/am thoroughly unconvinced that I am organised even though I’ve walked around the house a bazillion times trying to think of what I’ve forgotten. It wasn’t an easy feat. I’ve had to borrow Sarah’s pink suitcase to take home as well. My luggage will come in at least at about 35-40kg. I had to repack plenty of times in order to fit it in. The six bloody pairs of slippers I’ve got don’t help. Nor do the Kazakh rug stuff I bought. Nevermind.

Below: in the preliminary stages of packing; my bag that must be sacrificed. It’s been around the world with me a few times now. It’s got mould in the bladder and waterline (that won’t come off). The main zipper no longer zips. Everything else is functional, but a bag with no zip is no bag at all. Its life is over and when I get home I’ll order a new Dakine bag online because I love this one so much, hopefully the next will be just as cool; six pairs of slippers. Bloody slippers.

DSC06558DSC06560DSC06561

Tonight at 6pm the other volunteers are coming over to swoop in and rid me of my unwanted stuff. I’m charging them entry, and for some of the nicer things – the money will go to a charity of some sort. Then I’ll move down to the French Bistro, have a feed and say goodbye to a few more people. I don’t want to go to bed late. I want to be home by 9pm, 10pm at the very latest.

I’m epically tired. I can’t sleep when I lay down to nap and I don’t have time to sit and watch a tv episode to calm me down. My peeps are coming over in an hour, I’ve got to figure out what the hell I’ve forgotten……

I went to work to say goodbye. I gave everyone a little Australian thing – kangaroo pin, keyring etc. It wasn’t too difficult and it wasn’t sad at all. And now it’s OVER. Sweet. Now I just have to say goodbye to my friends, which is always WAY harder. And I have to get to the airport – 4am wake up, 5:30am taxi pickup and then my flight leaves at 8am. Fingers crossed all goes well with my visa and passport and I’m allowed out of the country!

No comments: