Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Dad’s leaving Mongolia

The last two days have been hectic. We arrived back to UB from Dalangazdad on a SUPER turbulent flight (eeeeeeek) at 8pm on Saturday night. Dad and I went out for a really nice dinner at the French Creperie. We had a normal crepe and a dessert crepe plus a bottle of delicious French unpronounceable white wine.

Sunday was another busy day.I woke to drums drumming outside – had a look….. it was the army and their ROCKET LAUNCHERS and all the other bits and bobs (bombs, army tanks, rockets, guns, trucks etc.) doing a parade up the street. It was bloody impressive but geez I was glad to be inside for it!

The Yanks that stole our vehicle were opening a Chinggis Khan exhibition at the National Museum that we were invited to. We rocked up and had 3 police shove us aside until one of the really lovely American ladies came out and said that we were allowed in. What a spectacle! Lots of body guards, people everywhere, the Prime minister, governors, UNESCO guys, UN guys, ambassadors… And dad in his sandals (no socks, thank god). below: at the opening of the exhibition

DSC02189

It was all pretty cool – the exhibition’s great and then we got to hang out with our new friends at the German Bakery (yum!). Dad and I went in to work (the weekend was a working weekend nation-wide so everyone gets an entire weeks’ holiday during Nadaam) afterwards and found an empty office. So none of my workmates got to meet dad which is really annoying and upsetting because that was one of the main reasons I wanted him to come. Nevermind, it really couldn’t fit in with our plans or theirs, so he’ll just have to come back.

We headed up to Chojin Lama Temple Museum – an old Buddhist temple (still remaining; most were ruined). We wandered around a bit and then sat and had a listen to some traditional Mongolian music/singing. Cool! below: dad at the temple with a traditional Mongolian helmet on his head

DSC02208

From the temple we stopped at ‘Veranda’ restaurant for a pot of tea and a pizza. Yum. And then headed to my friend’s house for a dinner farewell – she’s heading off and it’s very sad. But it was a lovely night and lots of delicious food! Below: at the party

DSC02209

Today – busy busy. It’s Nadaam! We met in the square and watched a procession of bloody awesome cavalry with big horse hair war thingys and then walked down to the opening ceremony of Nadaam. We didn’t have tickets – it seems that the ticket producers have a deal with the black market peeps, and they only release a few (like, travel companies got 6 per COMPANY to sell) so it was virtually impossible to get them beforehand. We tried for a while, gave up, tried for a while and then got ourselves some tickets to get inside. It was PACKED> and I mean JAM PACKED full of people. TOO many. Our seats were well gone and there wasn’t even standing room. We ended up hanging off the side of the stairwell (literally). It also wasn’t really worth it, but we’ll know for next time.

DSC02236DSC02228DSC02235

Dad wanted Horshuur. Yuk. Mutton in deep fried pancake pastry. We looked for at least 1.5hours. He eventually got his bloody horshuur but I tell you what –he better bloody well have appreciated them  (it wasn’t my finest display of patience). No one would serve us. There were food stalls everywhere but no one would give us their horshuur.

We checked out the wrestling, archery and knucklebones and it was as interesting as it sounds. i.e. NOT at all. But that’s cool, I don’t need to do it again. Then wandered to the pub, dad sat and entertained my friends while Sarah and I organised the final details of our Russia trip (I have to be awake in four hours to leave for Russia).

It was really nice actually – I was super stressed and really super upset that dad was leaving (say: big sunglasses) and after the Russia shit was done, I drank two bottles of wine and talked and laughed with dad and my good Mong friends.

DSC02238

We scooted home, had some dinner downstairs and then started packing. I was choking back tears for hours. It’s always so hard to say goodbye. I have lots to do in my final 10months here but it sounds like so long and I just love having him here. So now mum has to come to even it up and then hopefully my work will be a bit better and I’ll have more rest time.

Taxi to the airport and we said goodbye. I cried a lot and hugged a lot and dad cried too and now I’m almost finished packing and I’m still kind of crying. Russia will be great but I need a rest (my fault for booking it so soon), so hopefully once we get there I can chill.

So, dad’s flying to Beijing right now and I have to try to get some sleep.

Love you dad xoxoxo

No comments: