Saturday, August 6, 2011

Felting

IMG_3862
Today we felted! It was really fun!


The three colours I chose to make my hat – 120g of wool
IMG_3887



Making the first inside layer – small bits all in the same direction. RED!
IMG_3908


Making the first top layer – small bits of wool in the other direction (Mongolian merino wool). I mixed a coral/orange with a pastel pink.
IMG_3921




Make the joins – the orange fluffy bits around the edges felt on to make the hat round.
IMG_3939




Smooshing it all together – with soap and water and lots of hand mushing.
IMG_3965




Rolling it together – squish squish squish (note: the swirls are still in tact!)
IMG_3970


The machine helped a bit – round and round and round and round
IMG_3978 IMG_3973

Both sides of my hat – the swirly patterns actually worked! That’s the front. The big purple stripe is the back.
IMG_3985


Cutting open the bottom of the hat so it opens to form a hat! (we put bubble wrap in the middle in place of our head, so as to make a hole in the long run)
IMG_3986 IMG_3987



My BIG hat before we shaped it. left: the outside of the hat; right: my hat turned inside out
IMG_4017 IMG_4015

After lots of shaping, rolling, kneading and squishing, the hat fits my head!
Judge all you like but I like that it covers half of my face. It feels like I’m hiding under it. I can still see – you just can’t see ME!
IMAG0203 IMAG0206




The hat drying at home after a good day out! (20,000tugrik for all our wool, help and our hat!)

1 comment:

stngcloud said...

wow that i s awesome. nice hat too