Friday, August 12, 2011

Mongolian Birthdays and cosmetic surgery


Hashi Japanese Restaurant


Mongolians don't do birthdays or Christmas very much. So instead of a cool birthday card, Claire got a card with a yak being milked on it. But it still means the same thing. And instead of balloons and signs and pretty party things, Claire got a recycled "happy birthday" banner I found for Sarah's birthday in June. And because we booked a table at the Japanese restaurant beforehand, the really lovely Mongolian lady set a table for us with pretty tea pots and lilies.




Dinner was yummy. My day at work was okay. I've started contacting different people who might be able to help me figure out what pastures might grow in Mongolia. I don't really like the idea of introducing different species to Mongolia - it's never worked 100% anywhere else and why can't they just do some basic pasture improvement and make some decent land laws? (pause while I write that thought somewhere more permanent)

Claire finished work early and I did too because no one notices when I am/not at work. We went and got a manicure. I got yellow polish. I LOVE it. Claire got bright aqua. It also looks super cool. It cost 5000t which is about $3.75aud. We had a milkshake and then walked home to get ready for dinner.
At dinner my new Mongolian friend came. She told me her Mongolian cousin who's been living in Australia is staying at the moment to get cosmetic surgery. It's cheap here. In the one hospital you can get you boobs, eyelids, nose, bum, tummy and probably everything else you can think of. You book an appointment (I think) and then wait in line with about 20 other women. First in first served. Each operation (on eyelids) takes 40mins and then you're outta there. You go back in a few days to get it redressed and then that's it. $200 and see you later.
At the Grand Khaan, patiently waiting for The Lemons to play. They didn't. 

No comments: