Saturday, September 3, 2011

Trevor’s Blanket

Deel material is really beautiful. Deels are the traditional clothes of Mongolians. A deel (pronounced ‘del’) is a glorified dressing gown. The Black Markets, or Narutuul in Ulaanbaatar, has amazing deel material for cheap. 4000tugriks/metre = $2.70/metre. As I’m not capable of creating extraordinary works of art with material and no pattern, I decided to make a blanket for Trevor, Nikki&Brad’s (my sister and her boyfriend) unborn and very late baby.

IMG_5190 The material cut in to squares (that resemble oblongs) on the floor in my room
IMG_5194 The squares sewn together, ready to start making the blanket
IMG_5197 The stuffing stuff (not sure what it’s called) being attached to the inside of the blanket
IMG_5198 Stuffing pinned on to the blanket
IMG_5200 Ready to sew the front, back and stuffing together
IMG_5203 Sewing the back, front and stuffing together
IMG_5208 Testing the blanket – making sure all the hems are done right (even though they’re pretty dodgey; my machine isn’t made to make fat blankets!)
IMG_5216 Almost finished blanket. I just have to blanket stitch the edges to make it look a bit nicer. It’ll probably take me two weeks to do that so for the purpose of posting a blog about my blanket before Trev’s born, here it is: my “finished” blanket.
I haven’t decided if I’ll post it home or take it when I go in two months. I don’t trust the post here – some things never make it. I don’t really want this to be lost. I think it’s cool!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok, see if this makes it to the comment, think i have done it but ages ago.xxox