Monday, October 17, 2011

2nd ger

I would like to share with you one of the first pictures I have ever drawn that actually looks like a symbolic version of reality. See above, a picture of a ger - with a second ger. That second ger is the basis of my presentation at work today. Not that I'm sure it's going to go ahead. It's 1pm and I haven't heard anything. I do know the important people are arriving shortly.

If I could just present the picture, I'd be happy. I can't though. Must introduce the concept of tourism as a form of diversification for herders within our project. I also get to meet Marie Bashir. I have my favourite pink leather bow in my hair following instructions from my grandmother to wear something nice on my head. Unfortunately I don't have an inside hat, so the bow will do.

Tomorrow I'm off to Orkhon (hopefully, providing no one notices) with my friend and her parents. They just arrived this morning and I imagine are a bit worse for wear. We're leaving early in the morning. I've got so much to pack. It's never clothes, either. It's my camping stove and saucepans, tripod, camera bag, sleeping bag, laptop (and yes, I do need it), pillow and food bag.

I haven't received any formal offers from other jobs, nor have I had an interview for the job I DO want in Sydney. I don't know what I would want to do if I go back to Origin - certainly not the same thing as before. I'm actually a bit scared about coming home. It's nice not earning money and being in a place where you can't get everything you want - I don't spend my time wanting or needing or changing things to make them how I want them. I have to decide what job, and where to work - and what priorities are: what to do with money if I do earn any. All those annoying things that are really nice to live without.

I don't even have my flights booked for home - the lady is extremely inefficient in getting back to me. I'm hoping I'll leave Mongolia on November 5. I actually don't feel ready. It won't take me long to pack - it's not that. I just don't think I really want to give up doing nothing all day, every day. Which is bullshit, because it's driving me absolutely crazy.

No comments: