Saturday, October 15, 2011

Art and music

DSC06052DSC06047DSC06044

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This weekend is a weekend of not much. No actual plans. So this morning I went for a walk to pay my phone bill (didn’t happen because the shop doesn’t open til 11am) and buy some souvenir stuff. I went to about 4 different shops and got some cool stuff, ready to bring home. Nothing for other people so don’t get too excited. I also got a really really nice leather handbag for 45000tugriks ($30). I got stuck in the art section of one shop. There’s so much beautiful art. I’ve already got some – I don’t need more. But I do. I’ll show you why:

I didn’t buy anything as I wanted everything, so I have to think about it. I really want that photo you can see in the bigger picture above: it’s of a Mongolian man and woman, naked (except for their traditional hat) having sex on the back of a running reindeer. In real life, the picture is fantastically simple and cool. It’s on rice paper. The other ones I really like are just sketches of things: camel caravans, camels, traditional costumes……. And then there’s one with 4 large horses with four women – watercolour. How to choose? I already have some art I got from a different place…….. I don’t NEED more….. But it’s so beautiful, and very reasonably priced….. Maybe, if you fall in love with something in these photos, tell me, and I can act as an art seller and bring it home for you………………..

3pm today was the Mongolian orchestra playing at the Philharmonic Hall. It’s just up the road from my place which is convenient. Tickets 10000tugriks ($7.50). It was awesome! The orchestra was huge and we listened to brass groups, wind groups, traditional Mongolian instruments, singing, jazz music…. There was everything! It went for about two hours.

DSC06087DSC06100DSC06108

These photos are of inside the hall – the costumed Morin Khuur (horse head violin) players – and the orange jacketed jazz players.

No comments: