Friday, October 14, 2011

Quite perfect

I just had my exit meeting for my volunteer position. It went really really well. They actually totally understand and accept why I chose to leave, and they've learned heaps from my position (as it was experimental).

The only thing that sucked (that I only just found out today) was that THEY made my work harder because they accused my counterpart of making me write his PhD thesis for him. Which is untrue - he asked me to write a report LIKE a PhD thesis.

The volunteer manager got mixed up with my English, I obviously wasn't clear enough. And they admitted just now that that's why it got even more difficult. They also said that the meeting (the one where I cried) was the worst one they've ever had, and they felt as terrible as I did (surely not: I didn't stop crying for 6 hours).

They just sat and listened and actually understood what I had to say - so much so that they had already figured out why I chose to go, and what the problems were with my position. They'd already come up with some solutions together. It was actually a really, really positive thing. I don't regret quitting, nor do I regret coming to Mongolia. I am really grateful that we could sit down (for 2 hours) and talk about how we can make it work better in the future, when people are in the sticky situation I was.

So I took those vitamin B stress tablets for nothing! I almost fell asleep from them because I was so relaxed.

In the meeting with my work boss, she said that my project proposal - for ger based tourism, was 'quite perfect' even though she's not even read it. She also said she wants me to present to the head honchos when they arrive next week (and I mean, the super important people). I have about 4 hours of work time to come up with an amazing presentation on something I pulled from my ass - because I didn't have time to thoroughly research. Doesn't mean I can't do it. I'll just introduce the idea as a potential poverty alleviation strategy in rural areas, and they can take it where they want to.

It's also scheduled for Monday afternoon, squished between two presentations because I'm not going to be here on Tuesday. No one knows that yet. I somehow have to wiggle my way out of having to be at work on Tuesday. Hopefully it'll work. If it doesn't - too bad. I'm going with Claire and her folks anyway.

I introduced the volunteer managers to another two potential host organisations, which is exciting. They're actually really keen to work - with Ger to Ger, and with Three Camels Lodge (that really cool ecotourism resort in the South Gobi that Dad and I went to). I've followed them both up again to ensure they know about everything, as I really think it would be a great relationship to develop.

I have mentioned before: Mongolia's a shit place to be to have shit things happen in Australia. A friend of mine is in one of those family crises that are really hard to handle from another part of the world. I'd just go home, straight away - but I'm a bit soft like that.

I wrote my list of things about myself and my time in Mongolia for that guy who is going to write a reference. The most significant dot point I decided upon is the following:

   Probably the most important thing of all is that I accept that working as a geologist isn’t just about unsustainable use of non-renewable resources. I can use my geological knowledge to influence positively on the hunt for more sustainable methods of exploration, development, extraction and energy provision. I no longer feel guilty about not being an aid worker dedicated to saving the world, because I can do it in my own way – in a practical, realistic way that I am capable of and where I believe I can really make a difference. I have explored an option of career diversification – at my own instigation but harboured through years of being questioned on my morals - that only lead me back to my original path of more sustainable mining.

Next week, on Monday, the super honorary Marie Bashir is coming to Mongolia. They think it's because Mongolian politicians are encouraging successful and inspirational international women to come to Mongolia to encourage Mongolian women to take part in the election in 2012. It means we get to meet Marie Bashir. Despite my initial ignorance (I really don't keep up with politics, I find it so banal and it never gets me anyway) - she's a freaking amazing woman! Go girls!

No comments: