Thursday, October 13, 2011

Marble cupcakes

It's a great day. The cupcakes I made yesterday actually are really yummy (with icing, you can't taste the extra bicarb I added). They're soft and fluffy, which after years of cupcake making, I've finally managed to do it right - once.



I'm researching Wwoof. It's short for Willing Workers on Organic Farms. They operate all over the world. The organic isn't my cup of tea, but the concept COULD work in Mongolia. Mongolians need diversification schemes. I've been hell bent on trying to figure out ways to make money. This scheme wouldn't directly make money. They'd get labour in exhange for farm help. Imagine being able to harvest enough native pasture to last your herd through winter in 5 days, instead of 20. Or getting someone else to milk your mares while you churn yesterday's milk into airag or curds (mmmmm delicious).

I have no idea how it would take. They might hate the idea. It would be difficult to implement as access to phones and internet is needed to encourage visitors. But with a base office, it's proven (in a slightly different capacity) to already be functioning in Mongolia. Why not try it? So I'm a bit excited and have been researching and emailing.

And the research I am doing in regards to mining and negotiation between landholders have proven fruitful too. The guy I emailed (professor from QLD), wrote back the next day with all his papers, access to an amazing resource he created for Canadian Aboriginals negotiating with mines, and an open invitation to get his entire presentation on Mongolian land ownership and negotiation with mining companies when he completes it. That's right, he's presenting a presentation on exactly what I was trying to do. And he's going to show it to me. I doubt I'll still be in Mongolia, but I can pass it on and hopefully it will be really useful!

In Maitland NSW, there is an antique shop that's about my favourite place in the world. I've got my table and chairs, a cupboard, lots of nic nacs, a pillbox hat, a rabbit fur coat and most importantly - a kangaroo fur coat. I bought it just before I moved to Brisbane, so it was rendered useless in the terrible humidity. THEN I moved to Mongolia and got to wear it all the time. I know why kangaroos can sleep outside in winter now. Their fur is so warm.

My presentation yesterday went as predicted. There were murmurs of interest about Field Days, Land Care, Bush Fire Brigades and Men's Sheds. The latter only because I spent 10mins explaining the benefits of Men's Shed - and no one knew what a bloody shed was. How was I to know that shed is an Australian thing? I knew a barn is a shed and a shed is a barn, but I imagined them to be interchangable. Definitely not.

Despite my work not turning out how I wanted (I would just like to concurrently point out that I am not surprised at how my job turned out - I had no expectations and never imagined my role to be anything like what I applied for. I am disappointed that I was hired but not needed for anything at all)......... I've had some pretty sweet opportunities. I've got away 'heaps' with work - even though it's only been three times, I feel like it was a lot. I went on holidays to Russia, and to Khovsgol and the Gobi with Dad. And now, two weeks before I finish my role in Mongolia, I'm going to Olkhon Aimag. I have been there twice before, but never for fun. My friend's parents are coming to visit. The visit coincides with an pre-planned work trip to the Gobi with some important people. That means there will be hardly anyone in my office. And certainly no one that will care if I'm at work or not.

So I'm going to live it up, for the second last time, in the countryside of Mongolia, with a really good friend and her parents. One week after that, I'll be going to Ulgii in the West. Two days after that, I'm going home! (well, hopefully. I still haven't got flights booked because I complained that the flights are stupid and I want another option that doesn't leave 3 stops and 2 entire days of transit).

No comments: