Saturday, October 29, 2011

Bayan Olgii

Open mic (as in, open microphone – anyone can get up and sing) was last night. After my disastrous last day at work I was a bit tipsy all afternoon – gorging on white wine. Open mic was fun but super stinky, the cool thing to do is to smoke in confined spaces and it really ruins my pleasant perfume-y smell (and destroys my lungs). Some people I know got up and did their thing. I had a bit of a dance, checked out the artwork on the wall etc etc. I got home late, maybe about 3am so today I am really really sleepy. I am fortunately not hungover as I didn’t drink terribly much.

DSC06159DSC06161DSC06162DSC06164DSC06173DSC06174

It wasn’t a particularly early morning but it was a bit tough none the less. I was running late and ending up running around the house like a chook with its head cut off, trying to pack everything. I’d already done most things, I just didn’t want to forget anything. Nevertheless, we taxi’d to the airport and filed through all the standard procedures that just seem harder because we’re in Mongolia. Everything is slower and less functional, people are less considerate and friendly.

The plane was another Eznis flight (local Mongolian carrier), this time in a larger plane with three seats either side of the aisle. We were the only non-Mongolians on the plane. The flight was two hours and went very smoothly. I slept most of the way.

Olgii is very spectacular. With no clouds in the sky and a dusting of snow on the mountains it was very picturesque. The air is clean and cold and people smile and look at us very curiously. It’s a tourist town, people come through quite regularly but it’s not THAT common that we don’t get stared at.

The town had 40,000 people. It has a main central square and a couple of shops dotted around. There are markets that resemble a baby Narantuul (Black Market). We had dinner at the local Turkish joint. It was surprisingly edible with no hint of mutton.

The population is 92% Kazakh. They don’t speak Mongolian, although they all can. They speak Kazakh and live in permanent dwellings. They’re a culture different to Mongolian; as well they are very different to typical Kazakhstani’s as the country is much more Soviet than Mongolia. So far everyone is friendly and smiley which is a lovely change.

Tomorrow we’re driving a long way to a family stay and then we’ll drive further to the glacier. We’ll walk up to the glacier and then drive to another family stay. From there we’ll head South to Tsengel, a town I read a book about before I came. The book’s description of Tsengel doesn’t make it sound all that enticing but I’m sure it’ll be a great experience. From Tsengel we’ll head North East back to Olgii (it’s like the capital city/town of the state) for the night and then head out to hunt for foxes with an eagle hunter. Then it’s home time and it’s getting way too close and I don’t like to talk about that!

I won’t go into detail about the photos mainly because I’m tired. You can see for yourself. Xoxo

No comments: