Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Prague city

Wet, rainy and windy. Day two in Prague. It’s still bloody amazing, but it was a bit harder to appreciate. Old, beautiful buildings run for hundreds of blocks – unobstructed by modern buildings (or, if they are, they’re well disguised). Beautiful building after beautiful building. The river runs through the middle, and the big castle sits atop it all. The view from up there is amazeballs:

IMG_7852IMG_7836IMG_7839

I guess it’s hard to see in smaller photos, but it’s just amazing.

With only a few hours of light in the day (sun up at 8am, down at 4pm) you have to squish stuff in. I’m kind of glad of the sunlight hours anyway as it means we have an excuse to rest a bit earlier. I’m still totally whacked with jetlag – it hits at 4:30am when I wake up, and then about 6pm when I want/need to go to sleep.

We wandered around and found breakfast, then the big classical music theatre. We got instructions from the guy downstairs of our hostel (Welcome Hostel PragueCentre; it’s awesome) and then headed out for our walk. Over the river, lunch from an organic supermarket. We ate it by the river. I had creamy celery soup which was delicious, Ebony had a pizza thing that wasn’t too bad either. Up to the castle, down to the old town, wandering through christmas markets with an amazing array of sausages, donut things and Czech style chips. It all looked very similar to the set up in Hyde Park in London. I got me some chips. They were awesome. They were cut like a slinky apple with a drill that had a bit on the end like a cookie cutter. The slinky bits are shaving thin – then they’re deep fried to a delicious crisp. A bit of salt and you’re one step closer to high cholesterol and heart disease. I am lucky enough to know I am genetically predisposed to both – I may as well get in while I’m young ‘cos I ain’t gonna be able to eat my way through Europe for ever. Mind you, I’m not eating too far in to it because it’s not cheap to eat out! It’s cheaper than home, but when you add it all up……….

IMG_7799IMG_7806

That’s Ebony on the bridge crossing the river, and then the river from a different perspective.

Wandering back to our hostel (which is awesome, again), we stopped at Tesco to pick up some fresh bread and cheese for dinner and then again at some more markets to get some ‘hot punch’ that is very alcoholic and not very delicious. Ebony wouldn’t even drink it.

All in all a good day. Nothing exciting to report, just lovely Europe. We’re trying to decide where to go next, and it’s not easy. Austria? France? Germany? Switzerland? I’d really love to go to Budapest but Ebony’s not so keen, and I don’t mind going back to all the other beautiful cities.

No comments: