Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A video is worth a thousand words–is it not?!


I still haven’t got around to writing about my weekend in Terelj. I have been fighting with Windows Live Moviemaker; it keeps freezing on me – I’ve uninstalled, reinstalled and it’s still driving me nuts.

Anyway, I got far enough to create the movie – it just has no comments (except for a couple at the beginning). The quality of this move is - pardon my French - shithouse, because I've had to reduce the size so it would upload. Believe it or not, I have actually spent every spare minute/hour since Sunday night trying to upload this. It's the best I can do: just watch it on a small screen and you should be able to get the picture.And I’m not fighting anymore so I will commentate:

The movie starts with the journey to the ger. Then you see inside the ger where we are served milky, salty tea (tastes and funny as it sounds) and the women start to make our lunch – of carrot, potato and home made noodles.

From there you see the grandfather using a blowtorch to get rid of the wool off the sheep head. It was pretty stinky because wool doesn’t like to be burned. Then we’re back inside the ger and there’s more food making going on. Then there’s a game of ankle bones – man vs man. I think what’s next is the horse – a close up for anyone keen on little Mongolian horses and their riding gear.
 
There’s some footage of little kids and lambs being fed and then the view from the hill we clambered up (so spectacular). From there it would cut quite quickly to the ger camp we stayed at for the night – a bit further down the road, in a very touristy ger camp.

I am so not making another video until someone else figures out how to fix my dumbass moviemaker. So enjoy this one while it lasts.

Today: language lesson at my apartment. I made scones that turned out okay – not amazing as I haven’t figured out the potency of the baking soda yet but they were pretty edible. Post – language lesson I had a nap then Tsegi from work picked me up and we sorted my work visa out. Wholey dooley, what an effort. An hour of running around in the same place from one counter to another – paying a lot of money, getting receipts, taking fingerprints and photos. Finally it was done and I get my passport back next week. Woohoo.
I came home to watch another episode of Hellcats (courtesy of Tegan) and turns out the episodes finished at number 4 which was super duper disappointing. They must not have downloaded properly. Nevermind, someone might have more of them for me. I hit the gym – not the gym at the school down the road as it costs $150/month. Yup.

I walked 15mins down the road (too far for winter so I’ll have to sort something else out) and paid 6000tugs to get in. I know why it was cheaper too. Most equipment was for sale. It wasn’t often plugged in. Weights didn’t work; they didn’t have much of anything and then other things were broken. Anyway, there will be enough to keep me occupied for a little bit. Hopefully.

Came home and wrestled with my stupid new computer for hours and hours and hours and hours. Enjoy the video – it may well be the last.
xox

1 comment:

monica said...

I think you should keep up the video stuff. I feel like i'm right there too. Except i don't have to smell that sheep's head being blow torched.