Monday, June 13, 2011

Lots of wins!

Lots of wins! I'm at work today - it's an Australian public holiday (Queen's birthday long weekend) and most volunteers have organised the day off. I didn't. Half because my boss is away so I couldn't ask, and half because I don't really believe that we should be getting Australian public holidays when we're living and working in Mongolia. But I kind of contradict myself - when it comes to Christmas and Australia Day, I'll be taking the days off.

So that doesn't seem like a win. But in the space of 20 minutes, I just talked to my kind-of-boss about getting time off to go to see the Reindeer Herders (Tsaatan people in Northern Mongolia). He also updated me on what our field trip is on, I got an actual itinerary WITH our hotels (which means we're getting a shower!) and found out we're diverging a little to go and see something different. Originally we were going to go to see a hospital, vet practice and some kindergartens (the group I work with supports different projects to do with Mongolian livelihoods; I just work in the farming sector). Instead we're going to see a group that have kicked up a stink and are making a complaint against us. Not as much fun and not as interesting but definitely more related to work.
Next win: I ordered some business cards AND figured out what I'm going to do with my time this week. I met the aimag (like, state) coordinators of our projects. I introduced myself (it was translated) and one lady asked to see some videos of Australia. Prepared I am - videos galore. I will make some decent videos and make a little powerpoint to burn to CD and send to ALL 21 aimag coordinators. It'll be a little bit of 'Australia' with a little bit of sheep, cows and dogs (courtesy of dad). I'm pretty excited. Apparently they will be too.

This afternoon I'm going to talk to a group of Mongolians who are moving to Australia courtesy of the Australian government - to study for a couple of years. It's a wonderful program and delivers so many opportunities to people who wouldn't otherwise have them. They've been learning english and I'm just going to chat to them about me and Australia. Whoah. Tricky. The lady organising it is very grateful - I'm not sure she knows what she's in for. I do have a time limit though, which is good or they could get their ears talked off.

I have a time limit because myself and two others are going to book our flights to Khovsgol. It is the northern most aimag of Mongolia and is where reindeers roam free. The Tsaatan people RIDE the reindeer, eat the reindeer, use the reindeer for everything. We are going in the last week of June and I am also hoping (with fingers and toes crossed) that dad can come too. It's short notice but it's the best way. He'd LOVE it. But he knows it so hopefully it'll happen.

Major win of the day will be dad saying yes to coming to Mongolia. It would just be SO much fun. It's okay if he can't come - but it just means he'll have to come at a shittier time of the year.

Oh yeah. ANOTHER win - I got THREE parcels! I haven't received them yet, I get them tomorrow. I am showing restraint and learning to be patient and will pick them up tomorrow when it's easier for everyone. There are two from Australia and one from the USA. Two I imagine are from mum and Grandma, the other one is my patterns from McCalls, which means I can make dresses very soon! I will have to wait until I get back from the field but that's okay. I'll get material on Wednesday and then think about how I'll make everything. I always seem to sew better if I've had 'thinking' time.

No comments: