Tuesday, September 13, 2011

To Jupiter and beyond!

Job interviews are fun. I can talk about myself for hours, and at least in job interviews it’s what you’re suppose to do. I am also making a presentation on myself on Thursday and it’s not so easy.

Presentations are good. Sally is good at presentations. I’m mediocre at a lot of things, but good at presentations. So when I thought – well, I’ll make weekly presentations at work about Australian farming techniques, I’ll ease my colleagues in to it. As we’re from different cultures, I’ll start at the beginning – me – and work my way up. So I left it to the last few days as I was sick and/or busy doing other things. And now I’m stuck. It’s really hard to write a presentation about something you’re doing for no purpose other than to maybe share culture with other people. It’s really hard when their english ranges from zero to conversational. It’s really hard when you’ve got no scope of what you’ll do next. And it’s really hard when you’re suppose to speak for an hour when you know no ones english is good enough to care to listen to me for an entire hour.

shitballs. I’m thinking lots of pictures. But without words, that’s a LOT of pictures. And then I was thinking videos. But videos of me? Nope: they’ve got me 5 days a week, they don’t need me on a computer as well. And then I was thinking group activities to get some thoughts provoked. But you’ve got to be able to address the audience in English and then be able to correspond in order to work together.

So I left work to go to an interview and I’m hoping I’ll have some inspirational dreams tonight. I went straight to an interview with a guy I met on Friday. He’s trawled through my resume, which is good I guess. He interrogated me on my experience working as a rig jockey (geologist) in a Hunter Valley coal mine, and failed to take any notice of my – forgive my modesty – freaking awesome operations geologist role at Origin. I kept trying to point out what I did at Origin was more of the experience he’s after, blah blah blah. Turns out he doesn’t know what CSG is, which explains a lot. The job means nothing if you don’t know what CSG is.

Anyway, we chatted for about 1.5 hours on my academic transcript, my previous coal roles, and what kind of role he was looking to fill. It’s a report writing role that I’d be based in UB for. It’s a diverse position that would see me focusing on coal but helping out with other contracts as well (like fluorite, gold, iron ore). It would involve some QC’ing of core logging in the field, and some field visits. But ultimately I’d be playing with data, hassling clients for data and then transforming the data in  to a format useful to clients and governments. It sounds terribly boring. Most geology roles sound terribly boring to me at the moment. I want to play and talk to people and make presentations and learn off people and take photos. But I also want to make money, which means I will probably have to stick with geology for now. Or, I want to do CSG work – I love CSG. It’s a lot of fun and it’s very interesting and very contentious and there is still so much to learn and so many people that need to understand the science of the whole thing.

He said he’d get back to me with what he’s got to offer. After an email this morning I received re: my AYAD position (they’re thinking of cutting it short, YAY), I’m more interested in leaving Mongolia (winter’s a bitch. It’s f-ing cold already) and just playing around. I’m thinking: go home in October, come back to Mongolia, work for 5 weeks, go to England for Christmas and then go back to Australia either with Ebony (my wonderful little sister) for her 18th birthday (p.s. what the hell – she only just turned 8?!) OR hang around in the UK and work in Ireland (ohhhhhhhhhhhh what a dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and then go back to Australia in time to go back to work at Origin.

So many options, and perhaps my AYAD position will come to a natural end instead of me having to push for it, which will make my life SO much easier! Or, at least would make my decision making SO much easier!!!

On the other hand, I have a delicious career set out for me if I hang around in Mongolia. If I learn Mongolian and stay here, I’m guaranteed some amazing opportunities that would skyrocket my career into something that should only orbit around Jupiter, or maybe right in to the depths of the Milky Way. It’s something I’m 10% considering but really, I don’t want to live in Mongolia. I want to live in Australia.

No comments: