Monday, October 3, 2011

AFL, cupcakes and olive oil

AFL Grandfinal from Mongolia–Ulaanbaatar

The AFL Grandfinal was on Saturday. My only experience with AFL was at the Gabba, when I lived directly across the road from it. I packed up at what was half time – assuming the two hours and two halves I had suffered through was enough. Turns out it was only half time, and there are four quarters in a game, not two halves.

I rocked up late to the party knowing I didn’t want to suffer through that much football again. Good move. We had a Mongolian made meat pie that was actually pretty good and I got a bit tiddly on a few glasses of white wine. Half way through I pulled out my bag to check my phone for some reason. It was ringing – Nikki called. It was Nikki’s 22nd birthday yesterday and will forever more be known as the day that Nikki got engaged. Big news, so weird receiving it in the midst of an AFL game in Mongolia. But great nonetheless.

The first of every month is no-alcohol day. You can’t buy it anywhere, unless you’ve prepaid for your event. We prepaid and got our game drinks. But no after parties. I was home at 8pm, in bed by 8:30pm. It was great.

I slept in this morning, went shopping at Mercury for some vegies, fruit and cream cheese. I met two of my Mongolian friends – bought them back to my place and we cooked up a storm. They wanted to learn how to bake. So we made cupcakes and a carrot cake. Drank wine, grated carrot.. I passed on the baking know-how. We ate our cake – with extra cream cheese icing.

IMG_5897 IMG_5912
IMG_5920 IMG_5922
IMG_5966 IMG_5952
IMG_5944 IMG_5971
IMG_5972 IMG_5977

And then I had a shower. My skin’s drying out with the weather so while I was washing up, the olive oil sitting on the bench was screaming at me…….. Instead of fighting it, I lathered it. All over my face. Initially it was amazing – my face moved with ease. Now I’ve got a very very oily face and I’m not sure what to do with it. Soap will just give me eczema. It was a good idea to start with.

No comments: