Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Job decisions

Since the last time I wrote, I’ve been to Sydney and back again for another job interview, we’ve had a really nice party on the back verandah, I’ve done a lot and not much at all. I’ve been to Gulgong to visit an old friend who’s got the most adorable little shop and made pork dumplings.

The interview was for a consultancy firm as a hydrogeologist. I was 40min late for the interview. Under different circumstances I would have been mortified. I only found out about the interview the day before. I left Mudgee at 11am and didn’t get to Sydney til 3:30pm. I was stuck in heavy rain, heavy fog and heavy traffic as well as road delays for roadworks. The interview went well. They all seem lovely and it would be really interesting to learn about hydrogeology. The office is in Chatswood, right above a gym which is perfect.

The interview was Friday afternoon so I stayed in Sydney so I didn’t have to battle Friday afternoon traffic as well as the rain and fog. I had delicious pizza and watched an interesting TV show called Suits. I will probably have to watch it all now because I am wondering what happens next.. stupid television shows. I hardly watch movies, but TV shows have me hooked.

I was up at 5:30am to drive back to Mudgee to help prepare for our party. All went well and we had a great night. There was some excessive drinking and throwing up towards the end of the night. Fortunately I was in bed by then.

Today I had to call another person about a job. That job that started the ball rolling on everything (finding new jobs, leaving Mongolia, going to Europe, finding a different career path) – in geology recruitment, based in Brisbane. I procrastinated all week because I knew I’d get talked in to doing it again. It is beyond a compliment when the owner/director contacts you after you’ve rejected their formal offer of employment, to offer a sweeter deal and tell you how much they want you.

So it’s back on the cards. An extra $20,000 and a formal NSW/QLD arrangement where I can spend some time north and some time south. Which then got me thinking. Maybe a car and a gym membership and rent too? Where do you start or stop? And then, why not take up the HR lady in Sydney of her offer to work full time in Sydney city in a similar role?

Tomorrow I’ll get a ‘spiced up’ job offer. To be honest, the first one was more drab than anything I could imagine so they won’t have to do much to jazz it up a little. I have to decide before I leave on Wednesday if I want it or not. It would also mean I couldn’t go to Sri Lanka in January. Mind you, by then I’m probably pushing my luck – having been to South Korea, Mongolia, Russia and Europe in one year.

I could go one step further and take a crazy geology role in the middle of no where on a fifo roster, earning a bazillion dollars to do gold exploration. There’s a lot of those jobs around at the moment. Geologists are very wanted people. Hopefully it lasts my career lifetime, because it’s a lot of fun, being this wanted. Though it makes decision making virtually impossible and no amount of listmaking helps the situation.

Photo time.

DSC06669Taking Nate for a walk with Ebony DSC06683Picking flowers along Bells Line of Road with Ebony
DSC06700Nate having his first swim with Nikki IMG_7285Pissing down in our front yard
IMG_7514Party time on the back verandah IMG_7518
IMG_7526 DSC06663Freshly baled hay
IMG_7472Dad and Nate IMG_7382Pink Balloons (derh)

No comments: