Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Running in a sea of Mongolians

Claire (my roommate) and I woke up at 7 this morning and went for a jog/walk around the place. We're not allowed to go alone - luckily Claire and I both like to get out and do stuff.

We didn't blend in so well. It was still below zero outside but the sun was out (as per usual) and the air was crisp. Everyone's on their way to work - they all wear black! I kind of knew that already. I got a photo of my workmates and they're all neatly dressed in black, black and black. And I guess I don't always blend in at home either. But we stuck out like sore thumbs! I felt SO silly. But no one jeered or laughed or pointed, they just kind of looked for an extra second and that was it.

The paths are practically non existant so you have to be careful where you step. There's snot and gollies of spit all over the ground. I was wearing my brand new awesome sneakers so I made an effort to go around them.

Breakfast is a bit different, but totally do-able. The toaster is a grill but it works eventually (albeit slightly burnt). The bread is pretty stale. There was salami, tomato, deep fried eggs and cucumber that very closely resembled yesterday's spread (we stayed away from that!). Milk tastes like milk and the cereal had bits of dates. I am totally open to eating things other than weetbix for breakfast. I mean, this morning I had cereal that looked like sultana bran and cornflakes. Big step.

We're house hunting again today. I'm kind of over it, mainly because it's too tricky to figure out what to do. There are too many options of two or three bedroom places, and then the people you're going to share with for the year - can I imagine living with them; will they be tolerant of my mess I make in the kitchen and my lax attitude towards tidying up in general.

We're also heading to the State Department Store which is where everyone shops for 'stuff'. Maybe the equivalent of BigW but in Mongolia?! Will update you on that one. I need soap, shampoo (haven't washed my hair since Sunday), writing books, adapters, a bag to carry on the front, gloves and whatever else takes my fancy. I also have to remember I'm not earning money - which I know is going to be a massive shock to the system!!!!

And no - gma and Wendie, I didn't eat the shaved sheep head brain salad last night. I'm not that brave. I'll save it for the field when I have to eat it or I'll die of starvation/be ridiculed for not accepting offerings of food.

Sleep was amazing; I still don't feel 100% but never expected to. Still defo packing my VitB stress tablets for the day, just in case. I am totally missing my pillow but will find one soon that does the job. My current pillow is about 10yo and has no structure - the bed is concave and the doona cover is covered in hair (not my own). Not complaining - any bed is a welcome rest at the moment!

2 comments:

stngcloud said...

Dear Sally,

I promise I will write a more full reply when I have time tomorrow (I had to work late again today) and niw I already have my contacts off since I gotta work early too.

Thanks for the shout out, I genuinely can't understand what's wrong with stuffed intestines because that sounds delicious! Where are the photos. I wouldn't try the shaved sheeps head though, cos there's no meat, and I don't do brains.


Take more photos. When you have kids one day you will want to show them photos of shaved sheep heads.

monica said...

the pillow.....