Friday, May 6, 2011

Hookie or Hooker?

This morning’s language class was a bit silly. It was more me being silly. I didn’t want to be there. We were doing sentence structure and I didn’t really care. Turns out I’m way more interested in words and the creation of words than I am of creating sentences. That’s not true, I like that too – I just really didn’t care if a sentence ends in yy, YY, Ho or Hoo.

Lunch was great – we got home and couldn’t get in again. The landlord came over, kicked the door three times and got in. Bugger. He filed away at the lock for a little bit and it’s a lot easier to open now, thank goodness. I also had to go to some crazy little local office to get a letter to prove that I live in the area. My landlord sweet talked them in to helping my friend, which was great. I got my letter – even thought they charged 5000T and it’s suppose to be free.

Afternoon was great. I spent a lot of money at the markets(Naruntuul). I got:

IMG_1237IMG_1240IMG_1234

IMG_1235IMG_1229

Clockwise from top: two pairs of second hand heels for 30000T (~30AUD); one cool buttoned handbag for 15000T(~15AUD); an entire tea set complete with six teacups, milk and sugar server for 15000T (~15AUD); one second hand feather sleeping bag. Note the feathers making their way out of the actual bag.

I also got a really cool jumper and tshirt, some sewing needles and a couple of other small things. The markets are amazing. SO many beautiful leather jackets, camel hair coats, deels (traditional costumes)…… Jeans, kitchen gear, shoes, food, bags, clothes. It’s all neatly organised into sections which makes it very easy to shop. It’s open air, which also makes it a bit nicer – so stuffy inside shopping. I didn’t take a bag or a phone with me as it was likely to get stolen. I certainly came out with extra bags!

Tonight was our official welcoming function. Pretty formal. I wore my beetle dress as I felt way too dressy in my pretty purple Veronika Maine dress. We had to quickly introduce ourselves and then I met a lady who works at the World Bank in a different division, which was cool. It’s all very fuddy duddy though. Actually. I don’t think that’s the word. Maybe I’ll figure it out as I go to more ‘aid’ functions.

DSC01157

Above: a self portrait. Of me. In my beetle dress, tonight. Self portraits are never particularly flattering, but you get the idea.

Early night – ish. It’s 11pm and I don’t seem to be able to get to bed much earlier than 11:30pm these days. I’m busy writing this blog or cleaning my room or something important like that.

The markets were cool – sorry I couldn’t take photos but it would have risked losing my camera. It’s a shame, there were some brilliant photos to be had. Maybe one day I’ll go and dedicate the visit to taking photos – that way I can keep a good eye on it.

This morning I burnt my fingers on the stupid kettle because it’s not like a normal kettle. I did make a yummy bacon and egg and cheese and onion omelette though. But then as we were walking towards the bus, about to cross the road this bloody van drove right past us through a bloody great big puddle and WHOOSHKA. Covered both Sarah and I in filthy water. Pooh. It was just like out of a movie.

Babies here are so adorable. Mainly because they’re wrapped in what can only be described and body shaped (legs, arms and head) sleeping bags. You can hardly see their face and they have to be carried as they’re spread like a starfish due to so much padding. By golly they’d be warm though. I bet I’ll kill for one of those come winter!

re: the title of todays blog. My work colleague picked me up today to get this letter for my visa. She told me she’s being a hooker today. I double checked what she meant. I told her what it meant – and she was adamant that’s the word she was looking for. What she meant was that she was just being naughty and telling work that she wasn’t going back because she was still with me – whereas she was actually going to do something else with a friend. I guess that’s kind of prostitution, right?!

Heading to Terelj (pronounced ‘terr/elg’) tomorrow to check out a traditional ger (round felt tent/hut) and family. We’re sleeping in a ger (hence the sleeping bag). Can’t wait to take some proper photos!! I’ve had my camera cooped up away from robbers but the ger will be safe – woo!

No comments: