Monday, May 2, 2011

My house in UB

The early sleep last night was amazing. I woke up at 6:30am and starting packing, and felt so much nicer than the last week – just because I got a proper, full sleep. Phew!

Packing didn’t take that long. It is SO weird having all my worldy possessions in ONE suitcase. I never thought it would happen – and I guess it hasn’t – I still have lots more stuff at home in different houses and boxes. I haven’t missed it yet but I would probably like to be typing this in my red slinky lounge instead of my bed.

But it’s MY bed. Oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah. Sarah and I had to duck down the street and withdraw another 800000tugriks to cover our bond – one month’s rent deposit + 3mths rent in advance. We were late to meet the real estate agent but made it eventually.

We signed the lease and the dining table was covered in tugs (money; all in notes – the largest is 20000 which means we needed a LOT of notes). We handed over the money and our landlord – the Israeli guy, made sure everything was okay for us and that we knew how to use everything. THEN he took us shopping. He definitely didn’t have to – he just wanted to make sure we knew where the supermarket was, and wanted to drive us there. So we shopped and I got about $65 worth of stuff. Not exciting stuff, I might add. The prices here are same same as Australia. I just got some butter, bread, jam, toilet paper, onions, cabbage, sweet potato (all the vegies they had), tinned tomatoes and tinned apricots (for a fruit fix). And other small stuff as well.

Once we got home we had a bit of a chill out; our house is pretty comfy. I had a rest on the couch and then my counterpart (who I work with) dropped round to pick up my passport to get my visa fixed up. She had just spent the day in the countryside (what everyone calls ‘the country’, or outside of UB') to go and ‘beg’ to a rock that ‘looks like the shape of a human’ because Mongolians are very superstitious. I’m going to have to see this rock – it sounds great. Apparently every Mongolian wants to go to this rock at least once a year. So Tsegi went today.

We shopped again this afternoon. I had to grab some PJ’s. They weren’t cheap! We found a set for about $35 and I reeeeeeeeeally hope they don’t shrink in the wash. Oh well. It was kind of fun getting them. The girls in the shop were so cute. To buy things you have to ask, get them to write out a mini receipt and take it to a cashier. The cashier takes your money and gives you a bag and a receipt and then you go back to the original girls and they check the receipt and you get your stuff. Phew! I also got some purple and black tights.

There’s a big supermarket there as well so I grabbed about $65 more of stuff. Cheese (Jarslberg chunks the size of a double fist for 40c), kidney beans, dodgey looking mince, pasta sauce……. I think I’ll be eating a lot of plain pasta with plain-ish sauce, and a lot of omlettes. Although I’m hoping tomorrow my pancake making will be successful and they’ll be suitable delicious breakfast.

Actually, I should learn how to make potato pancakes like dad used to make. Potatoes are about the only sure thing around here and I don’t go much on them at all. I just bought prunes because we haven’t had any fibre at all for the whole week. (maybe a little, but not much)

Tomorrow I’m hoping to make a mini video of my house to show you. I think you’ll be impressed. It’s way better than I ever imagined.

Tomorrow is our first language session – we have two weeks of it. I hope I’m okay at it. Oh yeah. And I got homesick today for the first time. I guess moving into a new house instead of just being in a hotel makes things more official and means I’m here for a whole year. I already miss everyone SO much.

DSC01122A totally retarded photo of me – with LOTS of Tugriks

DSC01123In the supermarket with the BIGGEST bowl I’ve seen

DSC01125Why I couldn’t buy celebratory vodka today. It’s Sunday Sad smile

DSC01126The supermarket checkout

IMG_1056Walking to the supermarket (our apartment is in the middle of UB)

IMG_1067Man-sized holes that go to no where – ALL over the city!

IMG_1070Roadworks on a Sunday – hardhats but NO other protective gear

IMG_1081ALL the trees are pruned to the max!

IMG_1088STOP! Sign

IMG_1100UB – concrete city with a view of all the spectacular hills

IMG_1119More hill views

IMG_1112Standard issue soviet apartments (like ours; built in the 50’s)

IMG_1123You see older men and women in traditonal deels (‘del’) – the full length dress, all over town

IMG_1120Police enforcement. Police are everywhere! But don’t make you wear a seatbelt.

Oh yeah. And I had to have breakfast with about 30 Koreans smoking at the table beside me. On the radio today they were saying China has just banned smoking inside and in public places. Here’s to Mongolia following that change of heart ASAP!

Goodnight; sleep tight. xox

No comments: