Monday, May 2, 2011

Spag Bol–Mongolian style

Sally’s first home cooked meal in Mongolia

This is a short video - that I'm sure you will find quite entertaining. It has no plot but the purpose is to show you the ingredients I used tonight to make the spag bol that's simmering away as we speak. What I didn't show you, or mention, was that I had to use stinky mutton mince that reminds me too much of when dad made his first round of sausages and the mince was very course and it must have been quite muttony from memory. Sorry dad. The sausages were probably better than the quality of the meat I'm about to eat BUT it's my first home cooked meal and I am SUPER excited.

Today was our language course; maybe I'll take my camera one day and film the ridiculousness that is the Mongolian language. Today we learnt how to say the alphabet (but not memorise) and how to say three sentences. Seriously. This shit is serious!

Another supermarket shop this afternoon proved fruitful - I got socks, dried herbs (albeit 1/2 a kilo of them) and vodka. I'm about to crack it open. The sun's not set and it's 8:30pm - it's pretty tricky to remember that you should almost be in bed. It feels like 6pm.

I got a hot shower tonight too- BONUS! Last night it was cold. This morning it was cold. My bed is also very comfy - king size. And the pillows aren't lumpy! Sarah bought one yesterday that has a lot of green tea in it (?!?) and she reckons it's pretty awesome. I'll stick to my free pillows for now.

Oh, and I got some vitamin E tablets. Wholey dooley, this dry air is a killer! I've currently got a plastic bag over my hair (not head; I'm not that silly) with some conditioner in it to try to revive it a little.

Right. Off to eat mutton spag bol and drink Chinggis vodka (which costs $13/litre and actually tastes WAY better than any vodka I’ve ever tried).

Daraa Oldsie (that's my phonetics anyway; it means 'see you later').

No comments: