Friday, August 26, 2011

Taking control

August was the month I set my limit at. If I am still unhappy with my position at the end of August, I will do something drastic.
Shit. It's come around a lot sooner than I imagined.

Did I tell you I did a typing test the other day? I can type 64 words per minute. I don't know what that means. But that's how exciting my job is.

Baby steps. This weekend I will update my resume.

There's nothing binding me to this position I'm in. The people are nice and I like to learn things about Mongolia with them, and I love that I have had a lot of field time but I am depressingly unhappy with my job and I don't need to be. I've been putting off things thus far, hoping something will take place. But I guess my knowledge of pastural management isn't going to increase overnight and no one's going to desperately need ME to do any work because the nature of pastural management research isn't desperate.....

I was talking to another volunteer last night at our Mexican dinner (which was just as yummy for lunch today). She was in a job where her workmates were lovely but she had no work and wasn't needed. She stayed in her position but gave me the advice: if you can get a job doing something else somewhere else, do it. If you can get paid to do it, definitely do it.

I don't want to disappoint anyone but I think the only person that would be disappointed would be me, for giving up. It's not like I'll be giving up though - I'm just not needed.

I just don't want to do it anymore.

At 5pm on Sunday I am attending the wedding of the receptionist at work. She only just started but is getting married and has to invite our whole office. Tough gig. Sunday night weddings sound a bit taboo to me. Hangovers are never welcome on a Monday morning.

At 3pm on Sunday I am attempting my second Mongolian haircut. Here's to hoping I come home with most of my hair still in tact.

Also, still no baby.

No comments: