Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Uzbeki dinner

DELICIOUS! There’s a new restaurant in UB. It’s across from the Flower Centre just off Peace Ave. They serve Uzbeki food. The menu isn’t long but it’s long enough to give you options. I don’t think it would matter what you chose, it’d be delicious. So much flavour and well cooked beef! The service was delightful –smiles and all! Even my green tea was great. I ate three times as much as I needed but there was no way I could save that for lunch tomorrow. It was too good to wait!

DSC02563DSC02565

DSC02557

 

DSC02566

Above (clockwise): a full bowl of homemade noodles and lots of flavour; the Uzbek rug on the wall; a full plate of homemade noodles, an egg and lots of flavour; all gone – too good to leave behind!

DSC02567

The place was really nicely decorated. Next time we’re going to bring a group and sit around this really cool table!

Dinner was very satisfying. Icecream is always a good way to top it off. My eyes were bigger than my belly and I certainly bit off more than I can chew but I don’t regret it. When icecream comes in a bag that you can carry, what’s stopping you?

DSC02568

 

 

 

Left: my icecream in a carry bag. Yes I am in an oversized hoodie but it’s comfortable.

 

 

 

 

Whilst work was unproductive today, I did hand in my report (although am yet to feel the wrath of that fire). I also started cleaning my room at home. A change is as good as a holiday so I moved my room around. I had never thought of it before, but I’m glad I was inspired while I was eating my last Cherry Ripe log that mum sent over with dad (don’t send anymore, I’m getting so fat!). I now have my sewing machine perched on my dressing table and I have an area big enough to cut out patterns on my floor. Yay!

The homeless people downstairs are a bit disconcerting. They’ve made themselves totally at home which I am, I guess, very grateful for. The fact that I get to sleep in warmth and cleanliness and they don’t is not a nice thing to be facing every day. They’ve got a coat rack that they dry their blankets on and hang their coats on. They have their accumulated pile of plastic bottles (that they sell to recyclers). They sit and sing songs together and share food. They even put their makeup on in the morning. They are literally sitting in the corner of a yard, exposed to all the elements.

I am just starting to worry. They can see directly in to our house. Whilst we are on the third floor, they could still easily identify us as their vantage point looks directly into our bedrooms. If they get sick of seeing us living in comfort/see we have spare clothes/get inspired by something, there’s nothing stopping them ambushing us as we leave our apartment stairwell downstairs. It sounds silly, but after my last few experiences it’s justifiable to worry.

We have water back – hot and cold. Our washing machine isn’t working anymore. It still washes, kind of. I think it’s going to die soon.

I think I have decided that I will actively seek a mining job here. Tonight I was thinking about it and I got really excited – and I wasn’t imagining anything else other than being involved in a mining company. Not even specifically drilling or geology. I’m sure it’s because my current role has no light at the end of any tunnel. But – what’s stopping me. I don’t have to be tied to this job I’m in. I said I’d do it, but I’m not doing anything I was suppose to be doing. I’m not doing anything. And even once I take the initiative to do some work, it’ll be MY idea – not theirs – which means it is much less likely to be used in the long run. And whilst I’d disappoint some, it wouldn’t be the end of the world as I’m not actively helping anyone like I came here to do anyway.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

No comments: