Saturday, December 17, 2011

Caen–> Paris

Finally, a decent sleep! No more tequila shots. Phew! It was only one night – I’m definitely turning soft. Too bad, I prefer to explore in the day and sleep at night. Mostly, except when celebrating.

Rainy rainy rainy this morning with an early morning trip to the bus station to get our return Caen –> Paris bus. It was 15mins late and we met a couple of friendly Polish guys who were more willing to chat than we were, which I still feel bad about. Sometimes explaining the weather in Australia again just is too much.

The bus took a bit longer this time as we went through a few different towns. I got busy finishing my book – called ‘The Help’. It was great. The movie’s out at the moment – it’s also really good. Amazon recommends books to me and I just buy them, without knowing they are God books or books just re-released because there’s a movie on it. Sometimes I get lucky and end up with a great book like ‘The Help’ and then other times I’m not so lucky and end up with the Book of Proverbs.

In to Paris and we made our way to our hotel, where we’re on the 6th floor. It’d be fine if there was a lift. The room is tiny but great – new and clean. We are in the attic bit so we have a cool window and a very limited bathroom. But there’s no lift. I carried a hard cased, 25kg bag up 6 flights of stairs. And before you say that’s why you travel with a backpack – I still disagree. The amount of ease that having a hard cased wheely bag provides totally outweighs the occasional stairs. We just were super unlucky today.

No lunch today, just a late lunch at 4pm. There’s so many places to eat, and most places only serve food at certain times of the day that it gets really confusing – where you can actually eat and where you want to eat. We ended up a pasta joint that was SO cool. What a find. Home made pasta and sauce, where you choose your sauce and your pasta separately. The salad is made with the ingredients you want and it’s cooked in front of you. On top of that, it was bloody delicious.

Because of the 6 flights of stairs, we limited our food intake to one lunch/dinner. Which sucks right now because I could really go some more pasta, but I’m in my pyjamas and once I’m in them there’s no going back.

Interesting note: I always thought of Matilda as a very Australian name. Not so. There’s Matilda towns and shops all over the place. I guess I never questioned its origin because it just feels Australian.

Second interesting note: buses and trains in Europe attract different socioeconomics. The bus is notably more feral than the train. The train is lovely and clean and sophisticated. The bus is feral and dirty and graffiti’d, with no toilets and very scare offices. The train is considerably more expensive at times.

Third interesting note: The French are too cultured to wear ugg boots in public. Every where else we’ve been (including Mongolia), lots of people wear ugg boots not even as a fashion statement, but as practical, comfortable and trendy daily footwear. There was at time in Australia when wearing ugg boots to McDonalds for a late night snack was the equivalent of wearing your pink flannel pyjamas too. Whilst I cringed a lot when I first started seeing all these ugg boots around during the day time, I have come to realise that my opinion is a social construct and I am just actually jealous that I didn’t think that I could have worn my ugg boots all over Europe.

That SD card was found – hooray! Here are the photos I may have lost, but didn’t and am extremely grateful for:

No comments: