Thursday, March 31, 2011

What I remember I'll miss

When I lived in Canada I remember missing (apart from friends and family):
(photo from when I lived in Canada)

chicken chips
cherry ripes

And that's it. So I just bought a packet of chicken chips and am gorging as we speak. I considered buying a stash of cherry ripes and saving them - but there's no saving them for Sally. They get eaten there and then. Nevermind, I'm sure the fermented horse milk, chunks of fat, dumplings cooked with fat inside them and vokda will keep me at bay.


Most common misconceptions:

Chinggis Khan was a very, very bad person (he did some great things)
Mongolia food is delicious (it's actually devoid of everything but protein, fat, calcium and salt)

Things I will miss in the year I'm away:

going home when I feel like it

(home)

eating vegetables
eating fresh fruit
making pretty dresses
wearing pretty dresses

(wearing pretty dresses; with my Mongolian peeps!)
cheap phone calls to friends
dogs with no rabies
driving my car
playing netball, hockey, touch and tennis
all my awesome friends


(okay, this isn't all of my amazing friends, but this one's pretty cool)
 my amazing, large house complete with backyard and resident ghost man and ghost cat
my amazing housemates
hosting BBQs and parties on my back deck
milo
hot water
loose leaf lemongrass and peppermint tea
my herb garden
white wine
Christmas

What I'm super duper looking forward to:

riding horses, a lot
going on holidays to Beijing, Kazakhstan, Lake Baikal/rest of Russia
understanding the amazing history
learning some basic language
buying some traditional Mongolian boots
wearing my antique kangaroo fur coat and not being hot in it
meeting all the other AYAD peeps
skiing
field trips where I get to talk instead of make maps
staying in a Ger
Nadaam
being stupidly excited about meeting my new workmates
moving into my Mongolia apartment
taking spectacular photos

And there's more. But that will do for now.
24 days to go.

No comments: