Monday, May 16, 2011

My first Mongolian mistake

My first day at Origin was organised months beforehand. I had to meet at the office at 335 Coronation Drive, Brisbane, at 9am. My boss would meet me downstairs and we would go from there.

This morning is my first day at the World Bank. It’s 9:24am. I was up at 6:30am, ready at 6:50am. I walked to work (10min walk) in my heels (bad idea, Sally. Heels are never, ever comfortable unless you’re rip-roaring drunk). I sat downstairs and called the office twice and sent a text message. The lady who has been organising my placement is in Washington on a work trip with what seems like the entire office except for Urnaa. Urnaa eventually called me back and told me that I’d have to wait until 10am because she won’t be there til then and no one upstairs can speak English.

So I packed up my stuff and trotted home. What I should have done is call Urnaa last night and confirm everything. I might have found out my start time a bit more accurately. I was told 9am (and no earlier). Promptness does not often pay off, and this morning it certainly didn’t.

Nevermind, now I’m at home and I think I’ll watch an episode of gossip girl.

No comments: