Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Plastic sewing machines

Yesterday at work was a little more productive as I created my own projects and started figuring out what I wanted to talk to the boss about. She gets back tomorrow apparently, but I’m not ready to talk to her yet. My counterpart gets back next Tuesday.

Last night was hockey. Lots of fun except there’s one girl that likes to pretend her hockey stick is a whipper snipper. Because you can use both sides of the stick, she comes steamrolling in and when she misses, she swings back the other way, and if your legs are in the way – too bad! I’ve got multiple bruises popping up today. I got a bit sick of it and started sticking the elbow in, which is a bit naughty but she’d hurt everyone else enough.

Post-hockey drinks were lovely. We just sat and chatted. I’m hooked up to go on a field trip with year 2 students. They’re studying rocks and one of the girls from hockey is their teacher – blah blah, we’re going to take them on a field trip!

Today at work was less productive (work wise). Ulnaa and I went to the post office. That was a big enough job in itself. My 20 letters were apparently addressed wrong, so I had to buy 20 new envelopes and re-address them, with my personal address written in cyrillic on them as well. We production-lined it and had them done in no time. $30 later, the letters were posted and we were on our way back to pick up some work people for a lunch. My work has a car and a driver that is practically a free taxi service. So we spent an hour going about 4km to drop them off. The traffic is horrendous.

We went to the VIP Mobicom centre. Apparently I classify as a VIP. It just means I got served a lot quicker, they were a lot nicer and it wasn’t in a room with a million other people. I’ve got a plan of some sort on my phone now.

Lunch at a delicious bakery and then confirmed that I am destined never to use a sewing machine in Mongolia. The one that the department store had for sale was apparently a returned machine that is made of plastic and won’t work very well. My only other option is to buy an industrial sewing machine, which is highly unnecessary. But super unfortunate. I would have loved to sew. Nevermind; must think of new hobby.

This evening I’m off to a museum opening and then to conduct my trial photography group. There are 4 people showing up tonight. I gave them all homework last night (research ISO, Aperture and shutter speed). Hopefully it’s fun!

And then on Sunday, AND next Sunday, I’m off to the theatre to see the Mongolian ballet perform Swan Lake and Tara Chojin respectively. It cost 10,000tugs/seat which is about $7aud. Crazy cheap. I am SO excited!

No comments: