Monday, May 16, 2011

Sans hot water

The hot water's off. I was actually surprised we had any at all, but then I kind of got used to it and now we don't have hot water and I'd really love a shower. Instead I have a lot of water boiling on the stove ready for my first (of many) sponge bath. At least it's warm water.
Top rated sponge bathes ever:
1. In Vietnam in Binh Dinh village after days of trekking and learning and sweltering in the middle of no where, I got back to my mattress-free bed and was ready to change in to my PJ's and sleep in grime when my host lady came to the rescue. They couldn't even afford to put doors on their house, or mattresses on their bed. But they could boil water for me to have a bucket bath in the toilet that was right next to the pig pen. It was, by and far and far and by the best, warmest, most comforting shower/wash/bucket bath that I have ever, ever have. I also don't think I have ever felt more grateful in my life.

2. In Kenya after days of safari with some completed retarded people (not including my sisters; they are cool), we still had no running water. Our tour guide was an absolute tool and we were staying in a national park where you could literally be killed by: lions, elephants, scorpions, leopards and god only knows what else. If I was with anyone else, they would have clocked me on the head and told me to just deal with being grimey and go to sleep in the stupid little tent with the stupid little mattress. But no, Tegan and Nikki shone the torch outside in the cold (so I could see and so they could watch for lions) while I used a bottle of water to wash the grime off me. It was a quick wash, but it was a great wash. It was also one of those 'I am beyond grateful for my sisters' moment.

3. I'm afraid that tonight's bucket bath will not make it to number 3 on the list. I haven't had a tough day and I'm not super dirty. But I need a shower. At least this one will be warm.

4. Under Mt Kilimanjaro (Kenya side), we'd had a pretty rough time the previous few days, made it to camp only to find out that even though we were in a compound, the lions would still get in if we made ourselves a target. Target or no target, we had to shower. There was a SHOWER! It was a tap on the wall above your head. It was cold, and it was without pressure but dear lord - it was amazing! There were spiders everywhere and little microbats but in between them was the 4th most amazing wash I have ever had.

5. All the warm showers I have had post-full day of geological mapping/hockey playing/bike riding/field tripping/skiing in the icy cold.

Ode to showers: I love you.

Work wasn't amazing. No one's there so I just sat around and played on the computer and read some articles. I got the internet set up, scored a proper mouse and a proper keyboard and then made my way home. I ran into 3 Aussies working in a coal mine in the South Gobi. Some typical construction workers - super friendly, really keen for a chat. We chatted. They told me they could get me a job. They told me they earn TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS A DAY. I told them I'm volunteering. They insisted on getting me a job. I had to INSIST that I didn't want a paying job.

It almost killed me. These guys legitimately could have helped me get a job that would have paid me more money than one can fathom in a day - and I had to say no. Because I'm doing a good thing. Volunteering. I'm not even doing it properly - I get an allowance! I'm doing the easy version of volunteering!

But I still had to say no. I was shaking for two hours afterwards and ate a whole packet of (the equivalent of) Jatz. I'm over it now. But goodness gracious me. What a predicament.
I also had a nightmare last night re: my old work. My boss' boss' boss (so the big guy) cut loose and went nuts at work and quit and we all didn't know what to do. It doesn't sound nightmarish but it was. I guess because I still really like that joint, and really want to go back - and anyone that challenges that upsets me. And if THAT guy challenges it, then I'd kind of have to believe it.

Nevermind, I'm in Mongolia. :)

No comments: